Antique Cars and Autos
This section provides access to the cars and autos
Definition of Antique Cars and Autos
The description of 'antique cars' can really vary depending on different sources. There are terms given to vehicles which were built during certain time frames. There are generally four groups, which are, along with their definitions as follows:
Veteran Era: the Veteran Era can be defined as the time from when the first automobile was designed and built, up until vehicles produced in the year of 1890.
Brass Era: the Brass Era can be defined as vehicles produced between the years of 1890 to 1918. This period was considered as the Horseless Carriage era - gas, electric and steam motor vehicles.
Antique Era: the Antique Era can be defined as vehicles produced before the First World War, or some believe the period ended in 1920. In the United States of America, any car over 45 years of age can generally be defined as an antique car. The Veteran and Brass Era also enter the Antique Era. Many Antique cars can only be seen at car shows in this day and age. Most have been restored and remain protected as they are generally very valuable and collectable vehicles.
Vintage Era: The Vintage period began in 1919 and ended somewhere between 1925 and 1939! In the United States of America, some maintain 1925 marked the end of the Vintage period as the classic car era began taking over. In the United Kingdom, they believe that 1930 was the end of the Vintage era. There are some sources who suggest that the beginning of WWII was in fact the end of the Vintage Car and Auto period.
The History of Antique Cars and Autos
The era of antique cars made a huge impact on the history of the automobile industry. During these important years, the automobile was invented, built, and developments and improvements for a more comfortable driving experience began. When the motorcar was first invented, vehicles were designed to travel across rough terrain as concrete roads hadn't yet been created. The World's first mile of concrete was built in 1909 by Horatio Earle, Good Roads, on Woodward Avenue in Detroit!